With artists like Madonna, Sting, the Pointer Sisters and the Eurhythmics (just to name a few), the album is a veritable who’s-who of 80's pop. The majority of the contributors were peaking or at the height of their fame when the record was released. To help put it in perspective, here are some highlights from 1987:
· Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet becomes the top selling album of the year.
· U2 releases Joshua Tree in March, catapulting the band to superstardom. The record would later take home the Grammy for album of the year.
· Whitney Houston's Whitney produces 4 chart topping singles, including “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” and “Didn't We Almost Have It All” on its way to 9x platinum.
· Sting's Nothing Like the Sun, featuring “Englishman in New York”, legitimizes his solo efforts after the breakup of the Police and a lackluster movie career. It would go double platinum.
4. Merry Christmas Baby - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
5. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - The Pretenders
7. Gabriel's Message - Sting
11. The Little Drummer Boy - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
13. Back Door Santa - Bon Jovi
15. Silent Night - Stevie Nicks